Contact US

Contact US
Email us at: Redcarpetshows@gmail.com or visit our Website by clicking on the MAILBOX

The Red Carpet BLOG

The Red Carpet BLOG
Get in the Know with the RED CARPET BLOG

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Red Carpet's Artist Spotlight: STEVEN EDWARD SITZMAN discusses his role in A CHORUS LINE

Red Carpet's Artist Spotlight: STEVEN EDWARD SITZMAN
discusses his role in A CHORUS LINE

    Steven E. Sitzman (Mike) Steven E. Sitzman (MIKE) - Steven was last seen in the Curtain Up! production of Floyd Collins at the American Reperatory Theatre of WNY and CSI: Buffalo at Road Less Traveled Blacklight. Other Regional credits include Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, My Fair Lady, Assassins, and Fall: A Rock Musical among others. You may have seen Steven perform at Darien Lake Theme Park and Resort in 2006, 2008, and 2009. He is also a proud 2010 graduate of the Niagara University Theatre.


 RCTP: Tell me about the first time you saw A Chorus Line, did you ever think you would have the opportunity to be cast in the show, and what makes you want to be a part of this production?
SS: "I first heard the original cast recording while riding home from tap class with my friend Ian at the age of 16. A few years later I was visiting New York for New Years, and on New Years morning we got $30 student rush tickets to the revival of A Chorus Line. Up until this point I had really only seen the movie and heard the cast recording, however throughout the performance I was overwhelmed with emotion, as I am when most Broadway shows start. It was like every emotion I was feeling as a performer, even at a young age, was channeled into 19 characters. 19 characters who all spoke from my heart, and it seems that is how this show is for a lot of people. What really makes me want to be involved in this show is that it means so much for so many people. To me, this show is about living for your passions, even when that road is going to be the toughest road you've ever walked on. After taking the last year off from theatre to concentrate on songwriting in NYC, this show is the perfect reminder of my passion. Musical Theatre."


RCTP: What Character do you play in A Chorus Line and do you have any similarities in common with your character?
SS: "I play the role of Mike in A Chorus Line. With the exception of me not actually having any Italian in my bloodline, Mike is exactly like me. Well, My entire life people have always said that I was a goofball. I agree. As a performer, I feel as though this role plays to my strengths as a song and dance man. The purpose of Mike's signature song "I Can Do That" is to assure the audience that the night ahead of them, while being innovative and different, still has that song and dance quality that audiences throughout the history of musical theatre have grown to love. The phrases that Mike tells you are perfectly in sync with my life. I won't get into specifics, but I will say that my take on this role is heavily influenced by my own quirks and experiences."



RCTP: A Chorus Line was conceived and originally Directed/Choreographed by Buffalo’s own Michael Bennett. If he were here today, what do you think his thoughts would be about the level of talent in this current production, with most of the talent coming from the Western New York Region?
SS: "If he was here today I'm sure he would appreciate our production for what it is. I think our production is paying adequate tribute to Bennett's genius; taking highlights from his work and marrying it to all of our collective takes on the characters and choreography among other things. I think Bennett would be amazed at how much the Arts as a whole have grown in WNY, as well as the caliber of talent in our show."

RCTP: What to do you like the most about working with Red Carpet Theater Productions?
SS: "This is my first time doing a project with Red Carpet behind the wheel. I'd have to say my favorite part is the caliber of talent that John and everyone at Red Carpet has put together. In theatre, especially in a smaller city like Buffalo, it would almost seem impossible to cast A Chorus Line and have everyone be "Triple Threats," but that is how this cast is showing up every day to rehearsal. As Professionals. As Triple Threats. With the credit going to wonderful team at Red Carpet Theatre Productions."

RCTP: What is your next project?
SS: "The next project I will be working on is an original play called Men of Like Passions. Written by Buffalo's own playwright Justin Karcher, whose OCCUPY ANIMAL FARM adaptation is playing at Subversive Fall 2011. "Passions" will debut with Theatre Jugend this spring."

A Chorus Line will be performed at the Lancaster Opera House from January 20,2012 -February 4, 2012. Tickets can be purchased by calling the Box Office at 716-683-1776 or by visiting the Lancaster Opera House website at www.lancopera.org

No comments: